- How did music evolve in America?
- American music has various genres such as folk, blues, jazz, and rock.
- Each genre has its own unique traits, stylistic characteristics, and prolific composers.
- (Priority) Creating #2: Organize and develop artistic ideas and work
- (Supporting) Creating #3: Revise, refine, and complete artistic work
- (Performing) Performing #4: Select, analyze, and interpret artistic work for presentation
- (Priority) Responding #7: Perceive and analyze artistic work
- (Supporting) Responding #8: Construct meaningful interpretations of artistic work
- (Priority) MU:Cr2.1.6a Select, organize, construct, and document personal musical ideas for arrangements and compositions within given form(s) that demonstrate effective beginning, middle, and ending, and convey expressive intent.
- (Supporting) MU:Cr3.1.6a Evaluate their own work, applying teacher provided criteria.
- (Supporting) MU:Cr3.1.6b . Present the final version of a personal composition or arrangement, using musicianship and originality to demonstrate an effective beginning, middle, and ending and convey expressive intent.
- (Priority) MU:Pr4.1.6d Perform a selected piece of music demonstrating how their interpretations of the elements of music and the expressive qualities (for example, dynamics, tempo, timbre, articulation/ style, phrasing) convey intent.
- (Supporting) MU:Re7.1.6b Describe how the elements of music and expressive qualities relate to the structure of the pieces.
- (Priority) MU:Re7.1.6c Identify the context of music from a variety of genres, cultures, and historical periods.
- (Supporting) MU:Re8.1.6a Describe a personal interpretation of how performers’ application of the elements of music and expressive qualities, within genres and cultural and historical context, convey expressive intent.
What to Teach
- I can/SWBAT identify defining characteristics about one of the American genres.
- I can/SWBAT explain contributions of a specific composer to the selected American genre.
- I can/SWBAT select a composer and explain their contributions to the selected American genre.
- I can/SWBAT compare and contrast the American genres.