- What do these symbols on sheet music mean?
- Musical Symbols are notational elements that represent a variety of composer intentions.
- Music Symbols provide stylistic directions for the musician.
- (Supporting) Performing #4: When analyzing selected music, read and perform using iconic and/or standard notation
- (Supporting) Creating #3: : Revise, refine, and complete artistic work
- (Priority) Responding #8: Construct meaningful interpretations of artistic work
- (Supporting) MU:Pr4.1.4d Demonstrate and explain how intent is conveyed through interpretive decisions and expressive qualities (for example, dynamics, tempo, timbre).
- (Supporting) MU:Cr3.1.4b Present the final version of personal created music to others and explain connection to expressive intent.
- (Priority) MU:Re8.1.4a Demonstrate and explain how the expressive qualities (for example, dynamics, tempo, timbre) are used in performers’ and personal interpretations to reflect expressive intent.
What to Teach
- I can/SWBAT visually identify, define, and apply the following types of music symbols:
- Time Signatures
- Grand Staff, Clefs
- Bar Lines, Repeat Signs, Double Bar