- How do I play guitar?
- Guitar is a string instrument.
- Proper guitar playing requires demonstration of strumming, finger-picking, chord changes, and playing position.
- (Priority) Performing #4: : Select, analyze, and interpret artistic work for presentation
- (Supporting) Performing #5: Develop and refine artistic techniques and work for presentation
- (Priority) Performing #6: : Convey meaning through the presentation of artistic work
- (Supporting) MU:Pr4.1.6a Apply teacher provided criteria for selecting music to perform for a specific purpose and/or context, and explain why each was chosen.
- (Supporting) MU: Pr4.1.6c When analyzing selected music, read and identify by name or function standard musical symbols (for example, rhythm, pitch, articulation, dynamics).
- (Priority) MU:Pr4.1.6d Perform a selected piece of music demonstrating how their interpretations of the elements of music and the expressive qualities (for example, dynamics, tempo, timbre, articulation/ style, phrasing) convey intent.
- (Supporting) MU:Pr5.1.6a Identify and apply teacher-provided criteria to rehearse, refine, and determine when a piece is ready to perform.
- (Priority) MU:Pr6.1.6a Perform the music with technical accuracy to convey the creator’s intent.
What to Teach
- I can/SWBAT strum the guitar string with a steady beat.
- I can/SWBAT read and strum the following guitar chords in various patterns with smooth transitions:
- G Major or G7 (modified)
- C Major (modified)
- D Major or D7
- E minor
- I can/SWBAT demonstrate proper playing position with the guitar.
- I can/SWBAT use finger-picking to play individual notes and melodies on the guitar strings.
- I can/SWBAT apply teacher provided criteria and collaborative feedback to evaluate guitar performances.
- I can/SWBAT use teacher provided criteria to select an appropriate performance piece.