- What can musical motifs represent?
- Pictures at an Exhibition has ten movements plus promenades.
- Each movement of Pictures at an Exhibition has a corresponding piece of visual art.
- (Priority) Creating #2: Organize and develop artistic ideas and work
- (Priority) Creating #3: Revise, refine, and complete artistic work
- (Supporting) Performing #4: : Select, analyze, and interpret artistic work for presentation.
- (Supporting) Responding #7: Perceive and analyze artistic work
- (Supporting) Responding #9: Apply criteria to evaluate artistic work
- (Priority) Connecting #11: Relate artistic ideas and works with societal, cultural, and historical context to deepen understanding
- (Priority) MU:Cr2.1.5b Use standard and/ or iconic notation and/ or recording technology to document personal rhythmic, melodic, and increasingly complex harmonic musical ideas.
- (Priority) MU:Cr3.1.5b Present the final version of personal created music to others that demonstrates musicianship and explain connection to expressive intent.
- (Supporting) MU:Pr4.1.5a Demonstrate and explain how the selection of music to perform is influenced by personal interest, knowledge, and context as well as the musicianship of self and others.
- (Supporting) MU:Re7.1.5a Demonstrate and explain, citing evidence, how selected music connects to and is influenced by specific interests, experiences, purposes, or contexts.
- (Supporting) MU:Re9.1.5a Evaluate musical works and performances, applying established criteria, and explain appropriateness the context, citing evidence from the elements of music.
- (Priority) MU:Cn11.1.5a Demonstrate understanding of relationships between music and the other arts, other disciplines, varied contexts, and daily life as developmentally appropriate.
What to Teach
- I can/SWBAT aurally differentiate between musical selections from Pictures at an Exhibition, citing visual art examples as evidence.
- I can/SWBAT use notation or recording technology to compose and publish personal rhythmic, melodic, and harmonic musical ideas.
- I can/SWBAT select or produce a piece of visual art for analysis and comparison to my published composition.