- Why do people tap their feet when listening to music?
- Why do some notes sound long and others short?
- What do long and short notes look like on paper?
- Most Western music has a steady beat.
- Music has patterns of long and short sounds.
- Music is notated with iconic symbols to represent sounds of different durations.
- (Supporting) Creating #1: Generate and conceptualize artistic ideas and work
- (Priority) Performing #4: Select, analyze, and interpret artistic work for presentation
- (Priority) Responding #7: Perceive and analyze artistic work
- (Supporting) MU:Cr1.1.Ka With limited guidance, create musical ideas (for example, answering a musical question) for a specific purpose.
- (Priority) MU:Pr4.1.kb With guidance, explore and demonstrate awareness of musical contrasts (for example, high/low, loud/soft, same/different) in a variety of music selected for performance.
- (Priority) MU:Re7.1.Kb With guidance, demonstrate how a specific music concept (for example, beat, melodic direction) is used in music.
What to Teach
- I can/SWBAT identify music that has a steady beat.
- I can/SWBAT perform a steady beat.
- I can/SWBAT identify long and short sounds aurally.
- I can/SWBAT identify long and short sounds with iconic notation.
- I can/SWBAT listen to long and short sounds and transcribe them with iconic notation.